As a trustee, you have a legal responsibility to maintain the items in the trust in the best interests of the beneficiaries. The best way to make sure you handle this duty correctly is to enlist the help of The Cohen Law Office P.C., a San Mateo law firm that has represented and advised trustees since 1972.
The Trustee’s Role
A trustee owes a fiduciary duty to all of the beneficiaries of the trust. Primarily, the Trustee is responsible for following the terms of the trust and implementing the original settlor’s (the person or persons who established the trust) plan.
A Trustee may be expected to:
- Keep the family home or other real estate in good condition, and ensure the taxes are paid
- Disburse trust funds according to the trust instrument’s terms
- Oversee investments so that the portfolio continues to grow
- Defend the trust against any legal challenges
- Carry out all express terms contained in the trust instrument
Trust administration is a complicated job, and if you are not experienced serving as a trustee you could make a mistake. Our attorneys have assisted numerous trustees during the administration process. As the years pass, you can turn to us to make sure you are operating within the bounds of the trust and California law. And if a lawsuit arises, we are seasoned litigators who will resolve the problem as quickly and positively as possible.